Please use the following instructions if you are receiving the below error message, "[item] is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."
- Click the Apple icon (top left of your desktop screen) to go to your "System Preferences"
- Go to "Security & Privacy"
3. Go to the "General" tab
4. Under, "Allow Apps downloaded from:", choose "Anywhere"
DON'T SEE AN "ANYWHERE" BUTTON?
You will need to disable your Gatekeeper. Continue with the below instructions to restore the "Anywhere" button.
- The Gatekeeper settings can be found in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General. The Gatekeeper options are located beneath “All apps downloaded from:” with the choice of “Anywhere” missing.
- Thankfully, the “Anywhere” setting can be restored to Gatekeeper in Sierra with a Terminal command. First, quit System Preferences if it’s open and then open a new Terminal window. Enter the following command, followed by your admin password when prompted:
sudo spctl --master-disable
- Now, relaunch System Preferences and head back to the Gatekeeper settings. You’ll now see that “Anywhere” has been restored. Click the padlock in the lower-left corner to enter your password and make changes, then select “Anywhere” from the list of Gatekeeper options. The security feature will no longer bug you about apps from unidentified developers.